Quote Originally Posted by Scorpina View Post
Oh, I know that Colin Baker's costume wasn't the first eccentric one, but it's widely accepted as the most ridiculous costume The Doctor has ever had, and the most 'abnormal' since - while, say, the First through Third Doctors wore out-of-period clothes, they wore things that people would - at some point in human history - have been seen dead in. Colin Baker's coat was not such a thing (nor, for that matter, was Tom Baker's scarf, but obviously that was much more forgivable and suggested 'lovable eccentric' rather than... whatever the hell the Sixth Doctor's coat suggests).

I still really like The Fifth Doctor costume, however, though I can see why some would criticise it, and - ultimately - I do agree with Peter Davison himself that it would have been better had it not been so obviously a designed costume, rather than whatever old mis-matched cricket whites The Doctor happened to have lying around en-route to the Zero Room in Castrovalva.
Oh, I meant to say that I really love your icon! Did you draw it yourself? At one time I had a Superman icon but it was taken from a website and vanished.

I thought that Peter Davison's outfit was just fine. I'd never really heard anyone comment on Colin Baker's outfit although it was pretty goofy. I was never really a big fan of Colin Baker until Trial of a Time Lord when he too grew on me. I thought that Mel in particular really challenged his Doctor in a way that Peri never could, deflating his pomposity. I think the costume goofiness really started with Jon Pertwee, and just expanded from their, culminating with Colin Baker before they toned it back down.

I think Rose was the first Doctor Who character with whom I fell in love, but then, she was the first character allowed to have that sort of role. Although when they brought Sarah Jane back they intimated that she'd had feelings for the Doctor, that was never in the original series with either Pertwee or Baker. I mean both Susan and Joe Grant found someone (and Peri too, if you can accept that ridiculous six seconds toward the end of Trial of a Time Lord) but in neither of those cases did we really see much in the way of adult romance. My best friend's wife actually originally didn't like all the "emo" stuff is NuWho, in fact, but ironically just melted when they brought back Sarah Jane and introduced the romantic aspect. Go figure.