1. - Top - End - #992
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Culture explores 40K II: Now With 100% more Fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I don't know how long thinking Tau actually are. They are quick thinking and like to plan to the best of their abilities but at the same time they are over-ambitious and short-lived.
    Actually, being willing to play the long game is one of their noted traits on a strategic level. While they can be hot-headed and ambitious, it's outright stated that they are capable of being extremely patient in their efforts to expand, focusing on diplomacy and slow cultural shifts when force isn't appropriate. Look at that Imperial world they were gunning for in the Cain book; their plan there was literally to maintain constant cultural exchange with the citizens of the planet for generations until eventually Tau sympathizers gained enough sway over the planet's government to join the Empire willingly. They were already over a hundred years into said plan by the time of the novel's events. That's not the kind of strategy a shortsighted race comes up with. I can't think of a single example of that kind of patient, long-term planning in the entire history of the human race. We're talking about efforts that weren't even intended to pay off in the lifetimes of the people initiating them.

In this case, given the immense military capability of the Culture, I imagine that the Tau would have to adopt the same approach by necessity. Hence the interminable philosophical argument as a long-term result of Tau-Culture interactions.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    Would the Tau use genetic engineering and other biology-based technologies? The Culture could provide mechanisms to allow biological immortality.

That might make the Ethereals start to plan in the much longer term if the Tau in general live much longer.
    Let me put it this way: If you can't see a major cultural downside to using it, the Tau will adopt and make widespread use of any technology, ever. They already practice eugenics programs; high-end genetic engineering would have the Earth and Etherial Castes giggling like schoolgirls at the possibilities. As of right now their biotech is distinctly primitive in comparison to the rest of their tech, which is why they aren't already doing it. Just keep in mind that they wouldn't likely allow the Culture to do the modifying themselves; they'd want the full theory behind it first, and might take years to study and experiment with it before adopting it.
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2012-12-06 at 03:08 AM.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.