Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
Indeed, but my problem also applies to vancian casting as a whole: Guessing what encounters the DM is going to toss at you while you put your spell list together is putting the fun and complexity before play happens. Besides, in my experience, most players entirely bypass this "element" of the system by just keeping a "usual spells" list that they prepare every day unless something tells them they should prepare something else, and the 5e designers are sharply reducing this element anyway by putting all formerly-vancian casters on spirit shaman casting.
(raises hand)

This is why I tend to prefer sorcerers over wizards and in Pathfinder oracles over clerics. I'm going to be using the same spells over and over anyway I might as well cast more per day and be able to spam a spell if I need to. In one of my games I'm playing a Life Oracle and am loving it. I get to play a "cleric" in every way in my usual mode with the freedom to cast as needed. Last game I was able to spam buff the party on Bull's Strength and Shield of Faith before a battle I'd never have been able to do as a cleric. I can still cast Bull Strength or Divine Favor on myself for combat and channel energy as a revelation for when I need/want to go into healbot mode. Finally I get to play a "cleric" how I always dreamed of playing one. The one level delay in spell progression is irrelevant to me. I'm sure there will be a combat where I wish had a spell I don't, but that's not going to happen often enough for me to worry about.

If "concentrating on a spell" for a round means more than just me sitting in the chair telling the DM "I maintain the spell", then it might not be so bad. If I get to make decisions and manipulate stuff that are effective through the use of this one spell, then I'm engaged. I'm contributing. I like that suggestion 'Dice gave.