View Single Post

Thread: The ExFighter

1. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The ExFighter

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post

I'm not ready to concede offense without working through a specific scenario for why it is irrelevant.

What are the grounds for considering this a typo?

The choice of Ex features should not be regarded as static.

The routine you mentioned for brain extraction appears ineffective due to not extracting 12 brains.
    I already gave you one. The wizard casts celerity and decides to fall back and study you, and you responded by talking about Ex's escape options. So the wizard in some way makes them self scarce (how will depend on the environment) with their celerity (probably a twinned one in the case of the build I posted), then you get your lightning strike action and/or get to go first by winning initiative. Assuming you can't affect the wizard with those actions, after that it's round after round of the wizard kiting Ex until one side leaves, wizard attacks Ex and someone dies or flees from the sortie, or you find the wizard and someone dies or flees from that sortie. Until you demonstrate that you can do something with the advantage of going first, you're wasting an ability on lightning strike, and your offense is obsolete before firing a shot. Assuming both parties stay at the battlefield, you can be kited endlessly due to your inability to find or attack the wizard, while they ponder a course of action. How are you making the wizard flat-footed to benefit from IF, anyway? I just noticed your 5 levels of IM and am extremely confused.

Would you like other examples of 3.0 content making it into 3.5 books? Even the conflict within the Draconomicon itself is obvious, as the general section on golems uses the 3.5 ability name (top of 164), and the drakestone golem also uses the 3.5 ability name. If you really think the 3.0 language was intended, by all means continue to exploit it if you want, just don't be surprised that everyone sneers at you for it.

Ah, right, I forgot that while you only get 4 abilities, you can still mimic more creatures. Now I need to figure out how to make an effective mind flayer horde.

Also, see how everything continues to hinge around being a protean? Update the thread title, your class abilities are only bringing saves to the table.
    Last edited by Hirax; 2013-01-01 at 08:38 AM.