View Single Post

Thread: I'm feeling turn based and fantastical

1. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I'm feeling turn based and fantastical

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    Warty you like the real-time-pause game mechanic? I hate that mechanic, because I'd rather play completely turn-based, or completely real-time such as RTS. The corridor example you gave doesn't seem to hold water, because the overwatch mechanic exists.
    Personally, real-time + pause is my favorite way of doing single-player strategy games. When you're controlling a full squad of irregulars, guerillas, or otherwise guys whose best tactics involve splitting up, you can't expect to be able to keep an eye on all of them at once in real-time. If you want that, you have things like Planetside/Planetside 2 and Arma 2, where each player controls a character and the coordination is like in real-life combat. But when it's a third-person isometric viewpoint on a full squad of soldiers under your command... yeah. That pause button is a life-saver.

As for reaction fire (only XCOM 2012 specifically has an Overwatch feature, other games just trigger it if you have leftover TUs/APs), that only works if they've got action points left. If they're crouching down, waiting to unload some slugs and buckshot on the first guy they see, then you're dead. If they're not, killing everybody in the room is a trivial matter, since I'm assuming you spent the last turn getting up to the door and still have most of your TUs/APs. It's even less realistic when he opens the door, fires some shots, goes to one side, and another guy comes bursting in guns ablazing.
    Anyways, the only reason no one mentioned the Baldur's Gate and related games is because they're not turn-based. So if you like the R-T-P mechanic and you're looking for something fantastical, then why aren't you playing Baldur's Gate and its plethora of offspring/relatives?
    Who said he wants to play a real-time + pause game right now? Or for this type of setting?

All the D&D FR computer games are also A) really popular as far as computer games go, B) based on D&D 3.X (a non-stellar system, although the mechanics aren't cut-and-paste from 3.X to BG), and C) in Forgotten Realms (I personally find it a rather boring setting, especially when you don't have a tabletop game's freedom).
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2013-01-03 at 10:26 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting