I can agree that the R-T-P mechanic is very suited for modern squad combat. I simply don't like the mechanic aesthetically. It feels stuttered and the action feels arbitrarily broken, as if you're watching an action movie but your 5 yr old brother keeps jamming on the remote's pause button cuz he thinks it's a hoot. I don't feel this with a pure TB game because by default the designer has designed the action around the turn cycle.

While playing Dragon Age Origins (a R-T-P game), my biggest wish was for some sort of combat replay function so that I could rewatch all my battles without all the pausing in between. No such functionality, sadly. (Don't advise me to fiddle with the AI function because I like to micromanage my own battles.)

Who said he wants to play a real-time + pause game right now? Or for this type of setting?
I thought he was implying he finds R-T-P to be a preferred evolution of pure TB. In which case I recommended Baldur's Gate spinoffs though he must have known about them.