View Single Post

Thread: Personal Woes and Advice 2

1. - Top - End - #794
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Personal Woes and Advice 2

So the mental health mess is back with a vengeance. The trouble? How much of this mess was caused by mental health people in the first place. After the last mental health person I saw, I literally could not stop crying for hours and couldn't function enough to even eat properly for a week. I'm absolutely terrified of going anywhere near a hospital. I'm not going to go into too many details, but - this is getting to be a bad situation, and it's been made bad by the people that were supposed to keep it from going into a tailspin like this. I know I need help, but I just can't go back and set myself up for the sort of abuse that the profession dishes out regularly.

I know they're not all bad, but my observation is that the bad ones are far more prevalent than people think, and that the profession and society at large tend to shelter the truly abusive ones. Basically, my experience was that anything a mental health professional did was ok, because after all I was the sick one. Having a mental illness essentially negated anything bad I said about him - it was just another symptom, and when I'd recovered I'd see that it was all fine. I don't think most of it was outright malicious, though I think I encountered one of that sort. But most of it was incompetent, based on conforming to relatively arbitrary standards of other people's personal comfort, rather than a serious look at what functioning was and where I personally could have a decent life.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2013-01-04 at 11:26 PM.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!