Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
I was behaving extremely poorly in school. This was due to the fact that A) I did not want to be going to public school anyway -- I wanted to be homeschooled (though the word did not exist in 1976). B) I had just moved across country to a new neighborhood with new people and no other kids and I was having considerable adjustment difficulties.
I apologize in advance to Pendell if this is is going to come off as a criticism of him and his experiences, or of issues of mental health in general but..
If I'd ever said to my mum that I wanted to be homeschooled and not go to school when I moved from Holland to Italy, or to my dad, later when I moved in with him, they'd both have sent me to bed without dinner and brought me to school making sure I got inside the building and that would have been the end of it. I wouldn't have presumed to know better than my parents ..or been in the position to presume my opinion carried any weight on the matter, whether I agreed with them or not.
Less considerate parents might have slapped some "sense" in me physically. My parents only went that far when I caused some considerable damage to property... (i.e. I thoroughly deserved the few spankings I got.)

IQ testing is something that is completely ignored by the italian school system..either out of negligence or because they don't believe in it's validity. I myself find it all rather suspicious.. especially so when someone tries to correlate to its results the mental health state of whoever took the test.
Trying to google it, I wonder why anything IQ testing related you can find in Italian is little more than a shifty moneyscheme on the internet.
so.. genuine question.. is IQ testing a controversial subject or is it an accepted/routine practice and it's results on the whole accepted as significant?

As for psychology and contiguous subjects.. I'm sure that professional help can be of assistance, to a degree..but really, I have a hard time taking a "diagnose" or a professional opinion for something more than an educated opinion/guess.
I don't even know where this bias comes from.