I played this game for the first time yesterday as Vaarsuvius, and had no idea for what strategies would work best for V. I ended up starting out with "Fireball", "Right Spell for the Job", and the one where she talks everyone to sleep for my starting Shticks. None of us were entirely sure how the rules would apply for my defensive shtick, and we agreed that if I fought two monsters and won my defense against the first, causing a Draw, then I could still choose to attack the next monster in the stack. My first question is whether or not that is an accurate ruling. But this developed into an interesting strategy that I also want to ask about, because it turned out to be extremely useful and I hope it was actually correct. After defending against the first monster successfully I would cast Fireball offensively against the second monster, and we decided that because the spell had an Area effect that it would hit both monsters anyway. I used this on the second floor to great effect by entering an empty room, defending, and then defeating both monsters and collecting the loot, then resting to gain back Fireball and my health point. Was this a valid strategy, or does it break any of the rules?