Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bwaa View Post
Also it might be worth mentioning how he's able to look around the room in the dark.
I couldn't think of a good way to describe 3.5 darkvision. Back in my day, elves and dwarves had infravision, you could multiclass at level one, and monks were even worse than they are now. Kids today and their templates ...

Really? Really?? Are we really doing this?
Who doesn't like Magic School Bus?

For real though, I'd say the real question is when he had time to do research, since he presumably just woke up a couple moments ago.
*shrugs* I've never asked where my players' characters get their skill points.

You do a very good job showcasing the Elves here. It sounds very Tolkien (the names probably help).
Thanks. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I've always been a fan of elves regardless of how "un-optimal" they are.

Someday I should go back and see how many of your campaigns' first snippets end with some approximation of this line Fun start; I hope you've played a few dozen sessions since that you can write up now, yes?
A few dozen? You wound me. I'm not retired yet lol. But yes, we've played since then.

Crown of Shadow: Getting to Know Each Other

Spoiler
Show
Kresua, Kirk, and Acuse followed the four elves out of the crypt and up a short flight of stairs to where a metal door hung open. Scrape marks along the stone floor followed the path of the door's arc. Outside of the tomb was a wide meadow filled with wildflowers, a crystal clear pool of water occupying the west side of the field. A tiny waterfall cascaded beautifully into the pool from a high cliff. On all other sides of the meadow were thick woods, and to the north was a narrow trail leading away from the serene field.

"Pretty," commented Kresua, "but didn't you say you were being pursued?"

"You still haven't told us who you are, woman," Acuse said suspiciously.

"Forgive me, I seem to have forgotten my manners," the black-eyed woman said with a brilliant smile. "I am Lanisiree, a loyal servant of The Witch Queen."

"The Witch Queen?" Kirk asked.

"There they are!" Ashayla cried out in alarm as she pointed across the meadow.

Swarming through the trees were a dozen small with flat faces, broad noses, pointed ears, and sharp fangs. Their arms ...

"Goblins," stated Kirk confidently.

"They aren't what worry me," Lanisiree replied.

Smashing through the woods close behind the goblins was a monolith of stone that stood half again as tall as Kresua. It was carved in the likeness of a spiked suit of full plate, and had a clawed hand chiseled into its chest plate.

"What the hell?!" Kresua shouted, taking an instinctive step back. "We can't fight that thing!"

"No, we cannot," Lanisiee agreed solemnly. "However, the statue is under the goblins' control. With a bit of luck, my companions and I should be able to hold it off long enough for the four of you to defeat them and sever the connection to Izrador."

"The four of us?" Acuse repeated curiously.

Without another word Lanisiree and the two elf men took off with rapid speed to engage the stone monolith.

"I guess I'm with you boys," Ashayla said with a sheepish smile.

"Great," Kresua grumbled as the dozen goblins encircled the party. "Don't get yourself killed."

"Don't worry," Kirk said as the four adventurers stood back to back, "twelve goblins is still technically within our CR range."

"Oh joy," Acuse sighed.