1. - Top - End - #237
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

Quote Originally Posted by Gitman00 View Post
    Oh, for the love of...

I'm not disputing the point! Asked, answered, resolved. He's 72. Fine. Do you have some pathological need to prove me wrong, even when I'm not disagreeing with you? Okay then, you win. You're right, I'm wrong. Congratulations. I'm just annoyed that you couldn't deign to be courteous, as hamishspence was.
    If you believe I'm flaming you, you should report the post to a mod.

You're continuing to maintain that Roy's casual declaration of Shojo as an octogenarian should be treated as meaning something. Just not as much as what War and XPs commentary says. Therefore, we disagree. And, in the larger context, as I said, I would like to see fewer assertions of the "This character said X, why isn't X listed as established in the thread?" form. Last I checked, this thread claims a high standard of proof, not to record as fact everything everyone ever asserted. I don't want Miko's Mean Old Cranky-Pants class or Elan's Intelligence of 2 back.
    That is neither here nor there. You're just setting up a strawman, for what reason I can't fathom. I never remotely claimed he was being exhaustively precise. An octogenarian is someone in his eighties. That's a margin of error of a decade. In what universe is that exhaustively precise?
    If I was forced to choose between "Roy found out Shojo's age to the year" and, "Roy found out that Shojo was between 80 and 89, but didn't narrow it down further," the former would be my pick. Though, not being forced to pick between those two, I pick "Roy chose a random word that meant really old and hurled it at Miko, with as much concern for accuracy as Belkar showed shortly thereafter in calling Shojo a billion years old."

If your argument was (before hamishspence quoted War and XPs) that we should presume Roy knows Shojo's age to a decade rather than to a year, my question is still, "Why did you believe that?" My point is not that what Roy said is "less meaningful than War and XPs," my point is that what Royany character says on a subject where there is no reason to believe s/he knows what s/he is talking about has no weight at all. You are of course free to ask any question. And I am free to ask the question, "Why did you ask that question?"
    Last edited by Kish; 2013-01-12 at 01:29 PM.