Ah, a Persona thread! Though I think we should expand to a general SMG thread... otherwise we're missing out on some other great games (Devil Survivor, Strange Journey, the main-line SMT games).

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
As for what specifically I'd want in P5? Biggest thing: the ability to choose what skills a Persona inherits. The Devil Survivor series introduced this to SMT, and it needs to become a regular thing. Re-selecting a Persona fusion umpteen million times because the skill inheritance is random is the single genuinely bad part of those games and needs to go away. I will be completely fine if this leads to Personas having more limits on what skills they can have in order to balance it (i.e. the way the Devil Survivor demons get only three active and three passive skills, as opposed to any combination of eight on Personas), that's more than worth the trade-off.
As somebody who moved from Devil Survivor to Persona (well, technically, the Strange Journey and THEN Persona), not being able to choose inherited skills was such a pain. I agree that it should definitely be limited in some way, though... what if you could choose, say, two skills to be definitely inherited, and the rest were random as previously.

Spoiler
Show
And really, that's about all as far as specific hopes go. I trust Persona Team completely when it comes to writing, so I'll just wait eagerly to learn what we're getting in that department, and my other gameplay changes would be minor. I'd like to see the three physical types from Persona 3 brought back, and I'd like the main character being KOed to no longer be an auto-game-over, but that's about it, and I won't be especially bothered if those don't happen.

I haven't yet played a game with anything more than a Phy/Gun split, so I suppose I shouldn't really comment on that... but three different types of physical moves just seems like it'd be annoying. The protagonist being an insta-game-over is definitely something that needs to change, though. There's nothing worse than being ambushed and dropped before you get a chance to act. Still possible without the protagonist's death being... well, a death sentence, but much less so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
I'd like to see a return to indirect control in P5. I know not many people agree, but P3 and P4 spend no small amount of effort in putting you in the protagonist's shoes, and indirect control reinforces that. I found FES's AI worked well enough if you used the tactics commands, though the act freely mode certainly wasn't good enough.
I think this'd work best if they got rid of game-over on protagonist death, as discussed above. Haven't played a game with indirect control yet either, but I've seen many complaints at the many game overs caused by P3's AI, and using Marin Karin instead of a Dia spell.