"Hmm...interesting," he said, considering for a moment. Then, as was his wont, he gave a perhaps-rather-too-detailed analysis of the plan. "Depending on just how clumped up they are, it could be viable; at the scale that this battle will take place on, we can't be assured that a large group will be all within a twenty-foot sphere. If they are, though, I have two spells that can work, and work well together. One to conjure a cloud thick enough to impede movement, the other to weave a zone of clashing illusions that induces vertigo. The second is partially selective.

"However, they aren't perfect. Even with unrestricted movement, both spells include several non-selective sensory elements that can impede an offensive. If we likewise had some way to grant us all the ability to target foes without recourse to sight, it would be perfect. If we can rely primarily on area attacks, it would also work, although effective targeting outside the cloud would be highly difficult. Otherwise, it would likely still lead to a greater advantage than disadvantage, but we must remember that Wraiths and Shrikes are primarily ranged attackers. Limiting their movement may not significantly hamper them in direct combat.

"However, if we could lock them down inside the cloud, while we remain outside and fill it with area attacks, their ability to target would be crippled, while we would be fairly well assured to be catching several high-priority targets with our blasts. Further, it might then also be possible to center a field of silence on the cloud. This could cripple their ability to lead their units, as at that point they could be neither seen nor heard...ah, although I do not think they communicate verbally, did we ever get that confirmed...?"
((Knowledge Check! Taking 10))

"Well, in any case, it's a solid plan to consider. It will depend on the situation of course, but if I see a large enough clump, I'll definitely lay down such spells. Having unrestricted movement will likewise be worthwhile in any case, so that the option to wade into such effects is available."