1. - Top - End - #340
    Banned

Default Re: In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    You start allowing unrestricted access to slotless items for truenamers and next thing you know the druid is breaking the game even wider open.
    I did patch this issue by allowing Item Familiars for non-spellcaster characters only, with the Truenamer not counted as a caster despite its role. (I haven't decided whether Binder should count as a non-caster; certainly an IF would help Binders and Warblades a lot, but it's still nothing compared to letting full casters have them.) The justification is that an actual spellcaster has too much magical energy in himself for an item in his possession to be capable of "waking up"; his own "radiation" suppresses the growth of an IF's "soul" and potential to achieve consciousness. (At which point the term Item "Familiar" is probably wrong, given that this doesn't happen to traditional familiars.)

Or that Psion running around with a +30 competence bonus item to Lucid Dreaming that lets him assassinate the the BBEG in the Dreamheart from another plane.
    Lucid Dreaming is a completely optional skill, and even if you allow it in general, you're free to ban the "drag target into the Dreamheart where he can be killed" usage while letting the more cosmetic applications of the skill remain. It wasn't very well-written, but it's also set to "off" by default so that isn't much of a problem.

And in Truenamer's case, it doesn't even take any effort; there are two brilliant fixes out there for it that just plain work. I personally prefer Kyeudo's because you could drop it in ToM without a single seam showing, but Kellus' works well too. The work has been done for you. You can't even claim laziness as an excuse for relying on cheese like this, save being too lazy to read a pdf.
    Can you summarize the differences between the two fixes? Also I have at least one of them on my subscription list already, but it still wouldn't suck if you could provide links to both for easy comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Well, if we can have "Lesser Aasimar" why not "Greater Bariaurs?"
    Well you're not actually supposed to have both Lesser and standard Aasimars; in Races of Faerun it states that the "lesser drow" and the like are intended to replace their counterparts if you don't like LA in your games.
    Last edited by willpell; 2013-01-22 at 11:29 PM.