Deran

"But you see, that is my point exactly. Let them work of their debt and give the benefit of the doubt to those we cannot be reasonably certain they are guilty.

I did not mean to exaggerate your point. If I did, please accept my apology. But idly standing by when you either join or die is too broad a stroke. And I see your point about possible evil. However, consider the possible good that could come out of it. How much good do we stamp out because we did not give a man the chance to turn around, or prove that he was actually good at the first place? What good would we miss if someone that could help built something better, and become better himself, was not given the chance, because we did not trust him?

This goes both ways, Elanore. I think we are basically in agreement here. I am just saying, if we want to really do good, we must believe that good can exist and give the benefit of a doubt. Not blindly, not foolishly, not carelessly, but perhaps we could err in the side of possible redemption rather than strictness.

If something new is to be born here, it will probably be by men and women desperate enough to leave their original homes. Or people determined enough to brave the wilderness. These people sometimes are often ... cornered. I say we could, if we can, give them a chance for a new start. Without of course disregarding the past."