Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
If he's not merely using DM Fiat, fooling Divinations can be tricky. But certainly not impossible and such a foe is very appropriate for Divination-favoring parties.

Still, anti-dragon measures will provide decent responses to the Tarrasque: you'll have the entire party flying, for instance, and you will be attempting to target low ability scores (traditionally Dex for dragons, but the Tarrasque's 16 isn't exactly stratospheric). The main problem is that the Tarrasque is immune to ability damage, which is one of the best ways of attacking dragons, and that dragons will force you to prepare for spellcasting that the Tarrasque lacks.

But ultimately, even prepared incorrectly, you'll still have good answers (and, if all else fails, this is a tactic that buys the BBEG just over 9 hours on the outside), and frankly the Tarrasque is a lot easier than any dragon of similar CR would be. The inverse (convincing them that they'll be fighting the Tarrasque and leave them with dragons) would be a lot worse.
For every example there's a counter example, and I agree that any measures for one incredibly high HP huge tough creature should have some applicability to another such creature. So would a well-played Sorcerer's unvarying spell selection.

My argument is not that wizards are not, ultimately, a great combination of flexibility and power. My argument is that a good DM not only can, but should, throw some curves at them; either they should hit something they aren't 100% ready for, or they should NOT hit something they do expect - and wind up going through a combat holding back on casting because "I'm going to need that later". A wizard should not start every day of every campaign with total confidence in their spell selection. That's just not as much fun for them, or their teammates.