Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
Its always how do I wrap up the plot. Never anything else. In every story that is the first and overriding consideration. Particularly in timed mediums where you don't have a finite space. So you need something that can be done quickly and covers everything definitively beyond any doubt.

Now you idea there. Bor-ing. Not dramatic. Certainly not visually interesting either. Seriously Amon is literally now defeated by not having waterproof cosmetics, which has already been complained about in this threat. Heck doubtless many of the objectors would complain instead that how come a liar as good as Amon couldn't make up a story on the spot: the scar was a lie for sympathy but his blessing from the spirits is real. His men are nominally ready to believe him so you need a grand gesture to break his hold.

More importantly, its says nothing about the flaws in his character by rendering his defeat completely at external quirks of fate. Not even the hero's hands. Where's the arrogance and hubris of a man that is such a hypocrite he'll invoke a divine mission to hide using bending against bending. Amon dooming himself is entirely appropriate and every bit the extension of his character.
The overriding concern is wrapping things up sure, but it shouldn't be the only concern. Staying in character and having the ending make sense is just as, if not more important, than the actual wrapping up of the narrative.

Oh I admit that it's not the most dramatic but it would make sense. You see my problem is that you're grouping all forms of arrogance under hubris. Yes Amon was arrogant, but he was controlled. He was endangered numerous times but he did not resort to waterbending, ever. Then suddenly when victory is literally in his hands he does? It's just dumb.