Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
I kind of like the dominate [monster; person] idea. Tenser's would let you down (literally) as soon as you teleport, dimension door, or fly. So you'd have to burn scrolls on this I suppose, or waste slots in casting it.
By the time you're using dimension door or fly, a handy haversack (2000gp) is a readily affordable bit of gear (and something most characters will want anyway).

When outdoors...granted most melee would be able to shoot you with arrows here, or go stand under a tree preventing you from targetting them with spells, but sure...in an open field, not bad.
Given protection from arrows, wind wall, and the feat and gear investment required to make ranged attacks interesting, this isn't too big a deal. (Also, average maneuverability is surprisingly decent.)

Yeah and have it's int too, so if you pick wrong you are a squirrel. Forever. No component worth noting?? It requires 'smoke'. So you have to light a torch or start a fire first which isn't exactly the first thing a mage is doing in combat.
I have to ask: what kind of foolish mage casts a permanent buff spell on himself in combat? No, really!