Elsa

Spoiler
Show
There was a beat as Elsa considered her options - ignoring Jager was no longer one of them. She ruled out a violent backlash: the man had no magic, so it just wouldn't be a fair fight. A safer response would be a witty remark, preferably about Jager's parentage, but she had none on her lips at the moment. Or there was still the simple, defiant reply to any command: Make me.

No more recklessness, she told herself firmly. It's what got you on the run from the Colleges in the first place.

"I'm... aware we started off on the wrong foot, Mr Jager," she said placatingly. It felt like biting into a lemon. "Yesterday I spoke after seeing only one side of the coin; that side being the botched execution of a man I thought was innocent. I forgot my duty as a representative of both my College and the Emperor, and in so doing, I tarnished the reputation of the Bright Order. I'm not in these parts to meddle in local politics, but to gather and impart knowledge... which, I assure you, is what I'll do from now on. All apologies for my presumption."

Spoiler
Show
Jager may interrupt at any point. Elsa's little speech got longer than I expected.

Now I see what happens when you piss off the main source of plot in the area: you get locked out of the loop.