1. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Radiance: Mastering the Power of Love and Justice

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    snip
    Looks like a nice class, Snowfire. I like it, very flavorful and the 'diviner' role is one that's often overlooked. I've got a few comments and suggestions (I always do), hopefully they'll be helpful.

Eight tenths progression for EL and Illuminations is very generous considering how strong this class is on its own, but considering you're probably going to be much more a ranged fighter than anything else until you hit later levels, it makes sense to keep them strong.
    It's 7/10ths progression (you skip 3 of 10). But I think that's spot on.

That said, I'd also recommend a new feat that increases Effective Evoker Level (without granting new illuminations or increasing mote pool) by +4, up to class level. Basically practiced spellcaster for evokers.

[B]Remembered Weaving (Ex):SNIP
    I like it.

Listener to Light (Su):...
    At first level, a Listener gains an innate ability to ‘hear’ those memories, reaching within to ask the Light what it knows of the world around them, or those before them. The Listener gains the Bardic Knowledge ability as a bard of twice her class level. In addition, she gains the ability to manifest Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions with an effective Manifester Level equal to her Evoker Level. For every three class levels, half the time required to sense a distinct event.
    This looks good. Flavorful, interesting. An at-will 2nd level power is about the right level, and StPI is situational enough that it's not going to be a game breaker, while useful enough when used creatively to be a really helpful tool. Only suggestion is to allow this bardic knowldge to stack with other sources of bardic knowledge.
    At level 4, the Listener’s inner senses sharpen further, her mind opening to hear the whispers of Light that permeate the world around her and flow from the thoughts of all. She gains a permanent effect as Detect Thoughts. At level 6, this effect bypasses any immunity to mind-affecting effects other than those granted by mindlessness, although it grants any with such immunity a +5 bonus on their saving throw. At level 10, the effect is enhanced to the degree that it permanently acts as the third stage of Detect Thoughts that the Listener may focus on a number of targets equal to her Evoker Stat Modifier. The save for this effect is based off of her Evoker Stat and gains a +5 bonus to DC at level 10.
    This, I think, is pretty troublesome. Basing the ability on Detect thoughts wouldn't be so bad if not for the self-stunning aspect that comes with being in the same room as a Lich or similar high-end int-based threat. Instead, I would go for the following:
    At level 4, the Listener’s inner senses sharpen further, her mind opening to hear the whispers of Light that permeate the world around her and flow from the thoughts of all. She gains Telepathy with a range of 60', but is effectively mute (may not send via telepathy). As a standard action, she may use this telepathy to emulate the Detect Thoughts spell with a caster level equal to her Evoker level.
    This allows the rest of the power to work as usual, gives the ability to understand people speaking to her automatically at the cost of an action-based activation of detect thoughts, and prevents automatic self-stunning unless they user deserves it (like by actively trying to keep Detect Thoughts up all the time). It also allows the Listener to qualify for the Mindsight feat (though they won't be able to take it until 15th level).
    At 7th level, the Listener’s senses becomes attuned even to those things that the Light does not say, reaching beyond the said to the realm of the not-said. She innately knows if someone she is conversing with is mundanely disguised – although she cannot tell the person’s true identity. Furthermore, her ability to listen through the screen of words crafted by cons and liars makes the truth they wish to hide ring in her mind with near-perfect clarity. A Listener gains an Insight bonus to Sense Motive equal to her class level, may always roll to detect a lie, and is automatically aware of any magical bonuses to Bluff her target is benefiting from.
    That's interesting. Not terribly powerful, but useful.
    Finally the Listener may, at 10th level, ask a single question. She will be granted the answer - fully and completely, and without regard to the difficulty or secrecy of such knowledge, imparting a fundamental truth of the universe to the Listener. She may save this singular question for as long as she wishes, but it may only ever be used once, and may not be restored by any means short of the direct intervention of a greater deity.
    This either ruins a campaign, is mostly useless, or in very, very rare cases is completely awesome. I'd recommend instead that you make this a simple: Gain the ability to use either Legend/Lore or Commune with Greater Spirit (Wu-jen divination) 1/week. Simple, useful, flavorful and level appropriate.
    Inner Voice (Su):...
    At 1st level, a Listener to Light may, as a standard action, gain an untyped bonus to a single Intelligence based skill check equal to [Evoker Stat Modifier (to a maximum of Class level) + Class level].
    I'd go with just class level and make it a move action. Also, I'd suggest making it an insight bonus - those are rare enough that it's unlikely to not stack while not calling attention to the fact that you've got an 'untyped bonus'. And insight is quite appropriate here.
    Light Guides (Su):...
    Through one minute of meditation, a Listener may connect themselves close enough to the Light for them to hear a whisper of answer when they ask of it if a path is wise. This functions as the spell Augury, cast as if the Listener had a CL equal to her EL.
    This...is too much. As a Wizard, I would considder (strongly) banning divination and dipping 1 level of evoker and 2 levels of this PRC just for at-will Augury. I'd still get 9th level spells, I'd gain a whole host of utility abilities, and at-will Augury means I'd never prepare the wrong spells again. And that's just one example.
    Limit it to class level uses/day. Seriously.
    Piercing Memory (Ex): And as with choosing a path, so too with knowing where to strike upon a being that arrays itself against the power of Light. The Listener gains Knowledge Devotion as a bonus feat, with a single difference. There is no limit to the knowledge of the Light, as there is for any mortal. As such, a Listener to Light doubles the bonus damage granted by Knowledge Devotion up to five or your current Class Level, whichever is more advantageous.
    The wording is still off, because I can't figure out what this does beyond the bonus feat. Does it double all damage bonuses for your KD success level? Does it continue success level progressions?
    I'd recommend a simple statement of "The bonus damage granted by Knowledge Devotion is doubled". This is good enough to stand on its own.
    Also, add a line that 'If you already have Knowledge Devotion, you may choose any feat you qualify for as a bonus feat' - because with a build like this I'd have the feat before entering the prestige class, let alone 3 levels in.
    The Present is Eternity (Su): The whole universe turns in the flickering of a single flame, and in each spark there lies the memory of it all. Connecting deeper into the flow of Light through them, a Listener may search for more than a simple feeling as to an action – but a simple message as to where it might lead if taken (or not taken) now. She gains the ability to cast Divination with a CL of her EL.
    Divination at-will means that the GM will never be able to throw a mystery plot at the party again (although given this PRC's other abilities, that's already becoming a very dubious prospect). Again, I recommend adding an upper level on uses, or some other cost.
    Also, you've got a "the" in the name of the ability here but not in the table.
    Guiding Voice (Ex): All Evokers could be said to hear, or see, or in some way understand the Light that flows through them. But for Listeners, at some point, that ethereal sense becomes something…more. When casting any Divination school spell like Augury or Divination, a Listener my roll twice and take the better result for the validity of the information found by the spell. In addition, the Listener can spend a move action to trigger Inner Voice instead of a standard action.
    This is good. I see no problems here.
    No Shadows (Su): Light burns away darkness, but in most cases leaves shadow in between. But for Listeners, where it comes to facts? Their radiance burns any traces of shadow and dark out of existence within their sight, letting them see all as it truly is. The Listener gains the effects of a permanent True Seeing effect.
    Also good.
    Word-Forged Weapons (Su):...
    At 9th level, a Listener ignores all miss chance, damage reduction (including DR/-) and Deflection modifiers to AC to a maximum of her class level (max 10).
    Very nice ability, but a small tweek. I wouldn't reduce Deflection bonuses, I'd reduce Dexterity bonuses - this represent your future insights into your enemies actions. And the wording might be improved. How about:
    At 9th level, a Listener ignores all miss chance, damage reduction (including DR/-) and reduces her target's Dexterity bonus to Armor class by up to her class level (max 10).

That's all I've got. Overall, very well done.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by kestrel404; 2013-02-08 at 10:40 AM.