View Single Post

Thread: Something Wicked this way Comes...

1. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Something Wicked this way Comes...

Come morning, there are a few who gather with the company to make for Deep Mote, but not very many. They shouldn't slow your pace by much.

As you depart the camp, you spy a lone rider galloping down the road towards you... One of the messengers you sent to Deep Mote...

Reaching the company, he dismounts, and staggers forward. His horse is flagging badly, and its clear that be probably hasn't slept for several days.

"Karazi Strongstone!" He calls before breaking down into hacking coughs as he gasps for air. Regaining himself, he continues...

"... Jory Forrest, as it please you, sir." He states breathlessly. "They killed Kester on our way to the 'Mote, sir. The foothills were thick with the tribesmen when we passed. I made it through, though, an' got your message to the Ironjaw. He grilled me right good for two days, before sending me back to you..." he hands you a crumpled envelope.

"... I saw the horde on my way here to you, sir. They'd reached Longroad a day ago, and sacked it, 'far as I could tell. I dunno if they're coming here, but if you're returning to the 'Mote, you should circle eastward, an' stay off the road."

The man stands unsteadily before you, awaiting your response, and you suddenly realize how young he is... Sixteen, perhaps, maybe less.

Within the envelope is a letter from Ironjaw:
    Spoiler
    Show

Karazi and Taalkar,

A bloody mess this has turned out to be. We got word of the attack on Beluvah about four days after you left, and it sent half the kingdom into righteous fury, and the other half to plotting and scheming.

When your boy got through with word of the invasion from the North, it only made things worse. The Coucil is in a bloody riot. The King has called the banners, but no-one can agree on where to send them, or if we should be marching at all.

As such, I need you to send your Hammar Company home, as we'll be needing every man we've got whenever this mess gets sorted.

I've got separate orders for the pair of you: In order to help get this mess sorted, I need you two to go to Beluvah, and have a look at what we're up against.

Keep your heads down. We don't know how the other cities are responding yet, and we don't yet know who our friends are, or if we even still have any.

Good luck,

Ironjaw

Last edited by Mr. X; 2013-02-15 at 03:00 AM.