View Single Post

Thread: The Dark Holiday [IC]

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default The Dark Holiday [IC]

Akhet

The orange glow of dawn creeps over the massive city of Akhet, spreading it's warmth throughout the streets below. The quiet din of the city turns quickly into a roar of people within the Outer Sanctum, beginning their day. The city itself spans a great distance, built along the walls of the Keldarro Mountains. The slaves and commonwealth fill the streets as a colorful mass of people preforming their daily duties. Slaves, laborers, farmers, contractors, merchants, guards, soldiers, prostitutes, magicians and street performers of all sorts, all a kaleidoscope of characters coming together to make up the working-class of Akhet.
    Within the walls of the Outer Sanctum and deep within the mountains and earth below, lies the Inner Sanctum. This place is a bastion from the oppressive heat and searing sun. Barons, aristocrats, priests, nobles, business owners, and land owners alike; these are the men and women of the upper-class. The Inner Sanctum is built like a massive tree trunk; piercing huge, flat discs wherein each layer of the underground portion of the city lies. The trunk itself is built like a long cylinder containing a great spiral street within.
    The spiral descends deep into the earth and opens up into an enormous under-ground cavern. Lined with light-producing luminous crystals and a sparkling waterfall; it is a breathtaking sight. Clear blue water fills a large lake below and the opulent crystal tower were Alisan Atnefen resides can be seen perched on a small island in the middle.

Delsan

The morning sun beams through the forest canopy; striking the village of Delsan with streaks of bright light. Set within a vibrant tropical forest and built upon a great, shimmering oasis that sparkles under the sunlight. A great golden pyramid with tall, pointed obelisks positioned at each of it's four corners can be seen looming over a lush, beautiful town. The remainder of buildings are made out of tropical woods, using vines or grass-ropes to bind them together. Huge palm fronds make up the roofs of each building; and residents are often seen gathering newer fronds and replacing old roofs.
    The denizens of Delsan are as lush and vibrant as their environment. Slaves flee from Akhet in hopes of a life of freedom here. If they escape, Amun Atnefen, spiteful brother to Alisan; promises to keep them safe, for servitude under him. These slaves end up comprising most of the employed guards and soldiers of Delsan. Many are happy living with a wage and means that is not much different from the next resident; but others grow more and more bitter over their ruler's devastating greed. The members of the community dare not collect large sums of valuable treasures; or they face a potential 'tax raid' to make sure Amun is paid his 'fair' share. Despite that fact, most live peacefully with their families; growing as quickly as the village itself.

____

Today is the 13th of Epitas, 57th year after the Great Destruction. An otherwise normal day: today marks the last week of the peace treaty between Akhet and the neighboring village of Delsan. The community People have become increasingly unnerved, as the potential for war approaches. In Akhet; Alisan has attempted to keep her people calm; but there are murmurs of a pending attack. In Delsan, occasional whispers of a similar nature can be heard...

____

Adeak Fallin

Spoiler
    Show
    You wake to a start when Aldo, a young halfling in your rag-tag group of thieves bursts into your room. He's raving about some parchment he swiped at his 'second job' as a courier. You clear the grogginess from your mind and actually begin to understand what he's talking about as his words finally ring clear:

“Hey! You hearin' what I'm saying? I've got here a letter direct from the top! The wax was pressed with the royal seal of High Priestess Atnefen! Of course I took the liberty of not delivering the letter and well...I already read it, and boy, we're talking a hefty sum of riches!”

Brynn Dreylyn

Spoiler
    Show

Rousing you from your sleep; a frantic knocking can be heard at your door. From the other side, a voice as panicked as the increasingly heavy knocks can be heard; the voice calls out.

“Hello? Sergeant...? Sergeant!? It's the Captain! Someone tried to rob him, come quick!

You don't recognize the voice; but you can guess that it's another one of many pathetic, new recruits hardly able to raise a blade.

Asmith Blackwood

Spoiler
    Show
    You wake in your room deep within the cloisters of the Great Halls of Knowing. Going about your morning routine, you spot a small, intricately folded square of paper slipped under your door.

Upon further investigation; it's written in a language you most-often share with Prof. Reno. It reads:

My dearest pupil, Asmith! I have many-a-time told you that there were 'great things' in store for you! Yes I did! Well, indeed those things have come to be and it looks like your lucky day is here! I ask that you meet me for dinner tonight in the dining hall. We have much to discuss! 7pm sharp if you please!

You're humble professor;

-N.R.

Lilian Moor

Spoiler
    Show
    You wake with a start to a rapid, loud knock on your door. The faint glow of crystal-light creeps through the shuttered window. You wipe the sleep from your eyes to see a small, intricately folded square of parchment bearing the royal Atnefen seal slipped under your door.

Marion

Spoiler
    Show
    You wake to the faint chimes of wind ornaments hanging outside your hut; and the occasional squawking of a lonely crow in the distance. Looking around, you notice immediately that your monitor lizard is nowhere to be seen. Frantically looking for it, you spot a familiar tail slinking out the cracked door of your hut...

Stag

Spoiler
    Show

You wake within the cozy warm nook of the family stables; bright and early with the sun and morning birds. The dew drops coating you and everything around, reflect like tiny, sparkling gemstones under the rising sun. The fresh smell of morning invigorates you and brings you to you feet, ready to begin your typical morning routines. Not long after you've wiped the sleep from your eyes, Stefan Stormbrew, your foster father, swings around a nearby corner and approaches you with a broad smile.
    Standing rather standard height for a human, with a large, bulging belly and rounded, rosy, nose and cheeks to match; Stefan is a gregarious, portly man. With a short mop of wavy black hair bearing a huge bald spot in the center creating a sort of, unkempt, natural tonsure; and a messy, broad mustache covering the majority of his mouth: his appearance is as comical as his demeanor. As he approaches, he speaks in a boisterous, jolly tone;

“Stag, my boy! Good morning, good morning! What a fine day! A fine day for good news! News I have just for you! “
    Last edited by Orison; 2013-02-17 at 02:20 AM.
    Whatever happens, happens.
    -