It's so much easier to pretend to help other people than to do anything for myself. These weekly quizzes are worth 50% of my grade (with the final being the other 50%) and so far I've gotten zeroes on the last five, four of which were because I cut/overslept class and the fifth because obviously I didn't even know how to start the question. I keep telling myself that I'll study out of the textbook to make up for it but I've never managed to keep up like that in my life so I don't know why now would be any different. And I'm about to get a zero on the sixth quiz because I'm too embarassed to show up for another quiz just to fail it and the bus just left and the next one won't come for at least half an hour (the quizzes are 20 minutes long at the beginning of class).

I only just got off academic probation last quarter and I can't believe I'm screwing it up already. Heck, most students take 4 classes per quarter and I'm only taking 3, so my workload should be easier than normal but apparently I can't even handle that. I took summer classes so I do have enough units to qualify for the year with 3 classes this quarter but I need to pass all of them.

I'm sure my family and my boyfriend would be understanding and would love to help me but I can't bring myself to tell them because I know my family would get sympathetic at me and, well, I don't even know what my bf would say because we've only been dating for a month but I'm sure he would be sympathetic too. But I don't want them to be sympathetic, because right now they think I'm smart and hard-working and amazing and I don't want to let them down.

Spoiler
Show
If someone else wrote this, I'd respond
  • missing the previous weekly quizzes wasn't good but there's nothing you can do about them now. Focus on solving the next ones and just do as well as you can.
  • go to class. No one will care about your quiz but you need to hear the lectures and that'll help you learn, which will also help on future quizzes as well as the final, especially if you have trouble studying from the textbook by yourself.
  • your friends and family will NOT and will NEVER think less of you if you tell them the truth. They genuinely would be happy to help you in any way they could. They WANT you to succeed and you do them no favors when you don't.

But it's one thing to logically realize that and another completely to believe it and act on it