View Single Post

Thread: Personal Woes and Advice 2

1. - Top - End - #963
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Personal Woes and Advice 2

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    Honestly, everything I've ever considered doing has needed a PhD. I just don't have the skillset for anything else.

Which is a sad argument, given i don't have the skillset for this either...
    then get off your butt and get yourself an alternate skillset.

or... you know, start considering stuff that doesn't require a PhD.
    if you're capable, albeit not top of your class in doing research in the field of biology you can probably give private lessons to high school students in need of a tutor.. you probably know your way around computers and labs enough to get any kind of clerk job in any company that works in that field, social skills be damned.
    you probably would be able to get a job however temporary in a position obliquely related to your field of studies...through that small time job you can acquire new skillsets just by doing it.. and getting paid for it.
    a stupid example? when I was still a student I took a temp job answering phonecalls in an insurance company's emergency helpline. on the job I learned to use a couple of new softwares that I didn't even know existed.. now those softwares are listed in my CV. they are unlikely to be sufficient to net me another job should I need it, but every little thing helps... and what I learned there did teach me how to talk about people in a professional manner, take on repetitive tasks and listening to people. stuff that I later used in other contexts.
    if that doesn't work you can always take a class in something new and unrelated.. be it welding, carpentry, music, physics or..well. anything really. your main focus may stay on Biology, but at least you'll find an other outlet that might just help you get a job if the primary target doesn't work.. and who knows.. you might find that you're better at that than at biology.
    Last edited by dehro; 2013-02-23 at 06:08 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz