Quote Originally Posted by chessdudeguy View Post
Roy's Archon, although I don't think it would actually know if Eugene's actions while dead could come up in a review.
Roy's Archon seems very well informed of how the lower sections of the mountain work. It seems to go with the position, and a lot of the knowledge seems to be infused into the creature (for example, the Archon being surprised that Roy's mom can guess his name).

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
But what moves him into the red area is that he is friends with an utter monster and supports running a super-evil empire that causes endless deaths. I fail to see how you can be neutral while your friends (not people you tolerate or work with) are doing what Tarquin and his friends do. Malack might not be part of a lot of what is going on but he surely does not reject Tarquin's way.
Neutral can mean not much caring about the bigger picture, just staying "good" (by which in this context I mean loyal, supportive, etc.) to those closest to you, and to hell with strangers. In Henlein's Starship Troopers, there is a good point to be made that ethical thought has constantly grown to include ethic rules to deal with more and more diverse groups of people. From family, to tribe, to city, to country, etc. Paladins think that Good is defending humans and slaughtering goblins. We know that is unethical, because goblins should be considered individuals with ethics as well. Well, if Malack is stuck in the "tribe" level of ethical thought, he could easily be Good to the tribe while being Evil to those refusing to follow the strict rules. I.e. Neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Also Malack must be very much aware that not everyone who is "found guilty" in the Empire of Blood actually "deserves" that sentence. We're looking at clearly Lawful Evil behavior in that regard (the laws are unjust and you know it! You even have the influence to change them but still don't do it).
Could you back that up with some evidence? Not being sarcastic, I just can't remember of the top of my head what crimes we have heard being committed and which were punished by death. Seditious talking is the best I can recall.

I may just be misremembering, but we don't know how much Malack knows about the shadier part of the government. Like Roy tricking his party to go on side adventures, I picture Tarquin, knowing Malack is a bit on the neutral side, just hiding the operation of the squads of death-dealing ninjas. He lets Malack think that the courts, while oppressive, are just, and that the crimes that get dealt death are indeed to Malack's sensibilities, while taking care of other annoyances such as seditious talks outside of Malack's knowledge.

Grey Wolf