1. - Top - End - #431
    Banned

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    That's just saying "It's okay for a DM to modify this rule". As it stands, there's no evidence that it happened.
    If, hypothetically, you rolled up a high-Int Fighter in a party with a Wizard, and that Wizard cast Blade Barrier in a fight (using the OotS method of shouting "Blade Barrier" to make it obvious to all and sundry), and a few days later the Fighter saw the same spell in effect, having already been cast by the same Wizard, would you make him roll Spellcraft to identify it?

The rules are contingent on how a reasonable DM would use them. It is entirely reasonable for a DM to rule that Tarquin recognizes Blade Barrier without a check in this case. And since the burden of proof rests firmly on those seeking to add information to the OP, I don't have to provide my own evidence; I only have to subject yours to a reasonable doubt. Which is a reasonable rule, as 'Tarquin doesn't necessarily have ranks in Spellcraft' is not a claim that can be proved with evidence, yet it is the counterclaim to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    That is entirely reasonable. Regardless, the circumstance modifier would be useless if he didn't have at least one rank. It isn't an untrained skill. And Ganji? A rogue probably around 12th level? His skill point total would make a cross class rank, (putting one cross class rank in a skill only useable trained is a reasonable investment when you have the SP to burn,) in spellcraft easy peasy.
    Fair enough; that was not a strong argument on my part.
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2013-02-25 at 02:31 PM.