Quote Originally Posted by Schadrach View Post
...What if it's a comment about him having a misleading CR? That is, he's not as scary as his CR would let on?...
That seems fairly meta. I read it more as a reflection of his probably inappropriate child-like innocence. As if (simile, not a real suggestion) a Demon that was raised by bunnies since being created/born/whatever. So while it should be trying to rip your soul out all it wants to do is share its carrots.

Which ties in decently with recognizing the Astral plane but not knowing if he's been there. And I'm not saying it's definitely the raised-inappropriately theme; it could be some form of amnesia (accidental, tragedy-related, victimized, whatever). More general reasons he doesn't know what he really is, which I think he's directly alluded to talking to O-Chul.

I'm not saying that it's definitely not CR-related; I just view it as part of the 'doesn't know what he is' backstory. If Xykon (or more likely Redcloak) actually knew he had an inappropriate CR, why would they even keep him around? They seem to think he might actually perform up to his potential. If you're right, they should know he never would and then we have the question of 'What do they want him for, anyway' added to the list.