1. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD VI: The Undiscovered Creature (Please Read the First Post)

Quote Originally Posted by Schadrach View Post
    I had a thought: Something was said that has two possible interpretations, one of which isn't mentioned in the first post.
    Technically, neither interpretation is mentioned in the first post. The CR analysis lothos did was partially based on "scarier than you should be", but it is linked, not mentioned. It also has the strong evidence that MitD is intended to be a force to be reckoned with, from the tower and the earthquake scenes plus word of author.

Also, how would this work? So the CR is too high... i.e. the creature someone proposes is not a challenge to the group, even though its CR would suggest it is. Why would someone suggest it in the first place? Wouldn't it make more sense to be looking for creatures that do indeed fit the tower scene? In a less metatextual analysis, why would RC recruit a creature weaker than it should be? The straight reading of the scene suggests that the problem is with MitD, not his species.

In the end, it is up to the individual proposal to justify such things. If the CR is not representative (although I'd think the more likely scenario would be a CR much too low for the proposal's actual abilities), then the proposing poster can justify this: e.g. "Sure, my idea has a CR of only 8, but it can wish itself to strength 50, so even if it gives piddly XP, it can still punch a horse through a wall" (note that such example, if one existed, would fail the tower for reasons other than CR).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2013-03-14 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Made my examples more impersonal to reduce ambiguity of meaning
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est