View Single Post

Thread: D&D 3.5 M:tG fluff inspired magic items

1. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: D&D 3.5 M:tG fluff inspired magic items

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Comment that applies to all the items: You need prices and spells required to make.
    I know, but I'm bad at that. As for spells required to make them, I'm probably going to cope out and go with "only Parun (highest ranking member) of the guilds can make guild charms".

1) Make it slotless. If it really merges with the weapon, then the fact that it could possibly be used as a necklace should just be fluff. Body slots are reserved for items that must be worn to have an effect.
    Not really. A TWF may wish to use the throat version, especially if he doesn't have an amulet of constitution yet, and certain casters are likely not going to be able to use the slotless version.

2) I would think it should be an immediate action, not a swift action. If I remember action economy correctly, only with an immediate action can you activate it on an AoO.
    That's true, but it will mess the flow of things up, since using an immediate action on your turn disbars you from using a swift action on your next turn, which I feel creates wierd affects. Basically I'd prefer not to make the activation of something an immediate action if it can function as a swift action.

3) Does merging it with your weapon provoke an AoO?
    No, I'll add that.

4) Looking more closely at the item, this one at least SHOULD be single-use. You can fluff it as "Buy a charm, merge it with your weapon, and get an effect for a day" (Ya know? I actually really like that idea– One-use charms you merge with your weapon)
    I'd rather keep them all as the same time, and note down the alternate concept of a charm for something more independant fluff-wise. Feel free to post your version in its own thread to see what people think of the idea. Personally I think its rather good, certainly more mechanically elegant than what I came up with, and even if 4k is judged to be too much for a 1 shot item for the PC to buy for themselves, it should make an interesting treasure drop.
    Last edited by Boci; 2013-03-31 at 02:52 PM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself