1. - Top - End - #502
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

These are all so adorable! Ann's, Karen's and Maria's are just so very in tune with their character that the whole setup feels like a very natural development. Not that the others are bad, but those three particularly stand out. But, perhaps that's just my personal bias.

About translation errors, there's a few in these scenes. Ann's. Popuri's and Elli's are all correct (with the caveat that Popuri does that cutesy third-person thing that's tough to translate without making the character sound insane. (Funnily enough, she also uses the same "na-no" construction that Miki from Idolm@ster is always using. I suppose they have a similar cute-eccentric style)

In Karen's, when she commands you to bring her a blue feather, she actually demands "one or two blue feathers" in the original Japanese. I guess she wants you to prove you're absolutely and totally sincere. More insecurity concealed with coldness I suppose.

Maria's scene has a couple errors, two minor and one major (which you spotted).

The phrase "I'm braver now" more directly translates as "I have more courage now."

Also, "I never really said this before" is more accurately rendered, " Before now, I absolutely couldn't have said this" Literally it's closer to: If it were the me from before today, I absolutely couldn't say this" but that doesn't sound very idiomatic.

Maria's "I really wanted to tell you" is about 90% right but misses a little bit of the connotations of the original. The original text has Maria saying "I wanted to tell you no matter what" She also adds a phrase indicating that she wanted to say this in anticipation of something, so a more obvious way of saying it would probably be "This is the first time I've felt this feeling, so I wanted to tell you, no matter what you would say in response" but "I wanted to tell you, no matter what" is probably close enough and more natural-sounding.

As you suspected, her last line, "I'm so happy to like you" is a complete flub. The original is "あなたを好きになれたこと、とってもしあわせでした” (anata
    wo suki ni nareta koto, tottemo shiawase deshi ta [TN: Forum filter is dumb]) which I'd translate as "I'm so happy that I could come to like you," so that as in the original, she's explicitly happy both about liking you and her own personal growth in being able to confess this to you.

Hope you don't mind my translation nerding out all over your wonderful LP
    Last edited by Selpharia; 2013-04-01 at 07:14 PM.
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718