View Single Post

Thread: The Savage Tide [IC]

1. - Top - End - #1211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

Captain Cohen nails the fire with liberal amounts of create water on the decking, and has Underhill go up enough to do the same to the fire on the topsail.

Meanwhile, the Wyvern signals the Nixie to break off their attack. The Nixie maintains a safe standoff just in case of any surprises.

"Shouting Tree," he calls, "take the white flag and raise it. We surrender to this superior naval force."

"Aye, captain!" he says with a grin, and he goes clambering up the main mast with the skill of a monkey, finding a way to tie off the white flag despite the loss of a lanyard (it really doesn't 'fly' so much as hangs). He then pops into the crow's nest and waves to both ships.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking liberties with Darrius, especially since Paul is wrecked right now. Besides, this exchange would take forever otherwise ...

Having seen the name of the ship when the Wyvern pulled around the stern, the figurehead finally makes sense. Captain Darrius calls out, "Dancer's Circlet, surrender and prepare to be boarded!"

"As Captain of the Dancer's Circlet," calls Captain Cohen, "I accept your demand for surrender. You have my permission to grapple the ships."

Captain Cohen orders Shouting Tree down as the grapples are thrown over and lowered. Meanwhile, he says to his two-man crew, "Get ready to salute and then hand over both of your spears. Don't worry, Shouting Tree. I know you hold the Spear of Fertility, but it's a ceremony and it will be back in your hands in no time."

He then barks in a more formal manner to his crewmen. All two of them. "Look lively, boys! They may have taken us and our ship, but we'll show our captors our mettle with straight backs and raised chests that the men of the Dancer's Circlet are men of honor and dignity even in defeat! Atten-tion!"

Captain Darrius calls out, "Request permission for captain and honor guard to come aboard!"

"Permission granted!" calls Captain Cohen.

Darrius and his 'honor guard' (comprised of Mr. Kahir and Agnipati) cross to the quarterdeck. Captain Cohen steps forth and they salute. "I am Captain Cohen of the Dancer's Circlet, a ship of the Scarlet Brotherhood."

"And I am Captain Wavebreaker of the Sea Wyvern. How shall you surrender?"

"I present to you my hammer, Gili-Nachum, and the captain's log of the Dancer's Circlet. I also present to you myself as prisoner with the request to be treated as officer under standard maritime courtesies, and that my crew be treated with as much hospitality for prisoners as your mercy and resources may afford. Finally, I present to you this ship - the Dancer's Circlet - for your disposition."

Captain Cohen does an about face. "Pending former crew of the Dancer's Circlet, lay down your arms."
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is assumed that Underhill does ... though Shouting Tree seems much more reticent to do so, hesitating an extra second.

Captain Wavebreaker commands, "Honor guard, remove the weapons of the enemy crew." (Which they promptly do, though only the spears ... not any other weapons.)

"Captain Cohen, you and your crew managed to sail a caravel with a crew less than half of what is normally required, a truly fantastic feat of seamanship reflecting great credit to your and your crew, and we are in need of able hands. Here are my terms of surrender:
    1. You will be impressed into service as an officer of my complement, with all the rights and responsibilities forthwith.
    2. Your crew shall likewise be impressed into service as crewmembers of my complement, with all the rights and responsibilities forthwith.
    3. That in such impressment it is assumed loyalty to the expedition, my person, the ship, and all of the complement and passengers.
    4. That as members of the complement, you and your crew shall agree to make known your best capabilities so that I and my officers may know best how to employ you in both day-to-day operations and under emergency conditions.
    5. That as members of the complement, you and your crew make known any particular vulnerabilities, hindrances, allergies, or any other debilitations by which lack of information would cause complications in the day-to-day operations and under emergency conditions.
    6. Despite the outstanding shiphandling of your complement, the crime of flying a flag of the Scarlet Brotherhood means that this floating wooden wreck - obviously the result of poor upkeep sacrificed for the sake of speed - will be decommisioned and burnt to the waterline.
    7. Despite your obvious desire to push yourselves to the limits of sailing, your love of the sea shall carry with it a punishment of being 'marooned' at the nearby village of Renkrue for no less than 24 hours. You will be forced to smile, eat heartily, and sleep well in the guise of guests of the indigenous, and friends of these two ships.

"If you accept these terms of surrender, than all of your personal possessions, as well as items of defense and any treasury you may own, shall be yours to keep. Do you accept these terms of surrender?"

"I do." He then orders Shouting Tree and Underhill to grab the sack of treasure for moving to the Wyvern.

No longer Captain Cohen, Rabbi Cohen crosses the gangplank with Shouting Tree and Tom Underhill. There is a great cheer lead by Ms. Venkalie, followed by incredible clapping.

Once all are aboard and the clapping dies down, Rabbi Cohen salutes Captain Darrius again and says, "Captain Wavebreaker, may I present Shouting Tree and Tom Underhill. Reporting for duty."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Myhriss, what do you do at this point?

Captain Wavebreaker (Psinger), you and I can talk and I'll post best estimate, or you can pop on when you can.

Sadi Fleggins, what do you do? Because of battle stations, you were aboard when you saw all of this. You recognize the former first mate of the Wyvern before your transfer.

Tom Underhill, describe yourself.

No further goading for cheering and clapping is needed for the second, raucous round.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-04-04 at 01:10 AM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.