Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
Edit: My impression is that the comic does include gay and bisexual people sufficiently in comparison to their existence in real life,
Why do we continuously bring up real life in terms of gender and sexuality (and race, though that's not the point of this thread) when the story in question is pure fantasy? I already tackled this:

This is not a valid excuse. A world that will feel as natural as possible to the readers would not include elves, dragons, magic, gods of provable existence or monsters. If you are willing to suspend your disbelief for such blatant and fragrant violations of physics, chemistry, biology and every other natural science, it's completely arbitrary to decide that gender equality is too unrealistic.
The same goes for sexual orientation. We have things in the genre of fantasy that literally do not exist. Literally. I cannot emphasise that word strongly enough. There is a support group and plenty of group therapy for the laws of physics of fantasy worlds. But suddenly, when it comes to matters of gender, race and sexuality, we start throwing the words "realistic" and "unrealistic" around? That's completely arbitrary. I'd find a world made up entirely of bisexuals far more believable and realistic than your average fantasy world. Mainly because bisexuals exist in the real world, while elves, dragons and magic don't.

It's also really, really hurtful to see people saying "oh yeah, elves and dragons and magic are awesome and totally believable and realistic because we like them, but a prevalence (or the mere existence) of LGBT+ people is totally unrealistic."

It really makes me feel like we're getting in the way of your enjoyment of magic and dragons and straight privilege. And goodness forfend that ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
So, after seven pages of internet debate, someone has changed their mind. Huzzah! This is a grand new age in internet arguments!

Well, ya know, until someone else comes along and says nuh uh!
Oh, you.

Well, I can definitely admit when I'm wrong. That point about Thanh, Niu and the others being perfectly able to walk out on Haley if her leadership skills weren't up to standard, and join the other resistances? I had never thought of that.