ESGE [7]

To Champions [5]
Spoiler
Show
Ah, that is good to hear. The purpose was to preempt their inevitable betrayal- a wise move, I suppose, though it is unfortunate that it would involve the destruction of Bloodhaven Hospital, which has raised standards for medicine in the whole city- a necessary sacrifice I suppose. You see, they had attempted to convince me that you had been mislead by the Wardens so they could take Gilded, expanding their territory; that the SGA had in fact sworn fealty to you the month before and the Wardens had prevented the message from reaching you. Indeed, they had a number of incidents where mistakes on your part (their words, not mine) were explainable by the Wardens' manipulation. I now see what a lie this is! The Wardens could not possibly be using their position to gain power for themselves, that would be entirely unreasonable.

If only those merchant guilds would just have known to stay out of politics this would not be necessary. This starvation, the medicine shortage, and the impending economic collapse (due to the destruction of this city's merchant class) would have been entirely avoidable. Alas, traitors cannot be spared, no matter their intentions or the consequences of their just punishment.

Your Majesty, I may not agree with all of your decisions, but I will stand by them. I may not trust your other allies (The Wren, the Wardens), but I will work towards your ends with them.

However, there is one point with which I have quarrel. The territory being scoured by foreign marauders may be controlled by a traitor, but there are citizens of the city residing there, most of whom have no affiliation with Bloodhaven Hospital. This is a needless destruction of their livelihoods which happens to inconvenience one of your enemies, as collateral, perhaps. If we don't step in soon, the whole district could be worse off than Dogma was. It is like leveling a city to kill one man. It is effective, but the means are in no way justified by the ends. You may forbid me from aiding the citizens of this city, but that is the one command I will never obey, sir.

I propose an alternative. Through the mages I have under my command, I can drive everyone not loyal to you in that district out of the city. This will eliminate the foreign raiders and remove any traitors who might reside in the district.

Wardens
Spoiler
Show
I'm afraid my mages will be kept busy for the coming months, however I am indeed planning to take over administration of Blacksgage. The EBSA is now defunct, and it appears Bloodhaven will soon be eliminated, so someone must manage this area beside your absurdly large army- a military occupation of an educational and residential area is hardly objectionable, but is not ideal in this situation.

As for the thread of foreign forces, we are already threatened. The raiders in Triumphage Untima, when they find no ancient magical artifacts, will take to raiding the rest of the city- yet you are attacking hospitals and merchants? -justified, as they are traitors, yet it does not seem the largest threat in the city.