1. - Top - End - #405
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Gender and Sexuality Representation in OOTS

people still think saying "men and women are different" is the same as saying "men and women are not equal".(this is more aimed at i guess the second to last page)
    --------------------------------------------

and yes. including LGTB characters (more than 1 or 2) often gets people thinking you are shoving RL issues down there throat. And i aggree for a second. Glee is a good example. there are times when it is obvious that its an episode about pro-rights. But based on comments i see i think that alot of people assume that any scene including the LG cast is put there to force exposure.

I to prefer the notion of "Just write gay characters as normal people....like they are" and it doesnt have to deal with that drama .

The thing is, that the reason there is an outcry for gay characters (such as a 'debacle' at Blizzcon that went HEAVILY into the forum after) is not so much that the LGTB world (i.e. the real world) is excluded, but the fact that they arent thought of. "gays arent real people" so when you include em it seems out of the ordinary.

I think alot of people have less issue with not going out of ones way to make a gay character, as the notion that "most straight people forget that being gay is a possibility" which comes from the centuries what could be considered brainwashing when it comes to gender roles. Its the same thing people get mad at when mothers brainwash their daughters to be supportive and subservient to their husbands. I think i'm in risk of touching on to much (my mind works mostly of images and notions, and less with words so i work best with examples to prove my point) so i'll try to finish up.

People aren't mad at you, or Blizzard or anyone else didn't include a or many LGTB characters, they/we are mad at the world for just assuming (basically) that we dont exist. "Oh, i never thought to make a gay character", "Oh? You aren't 'just' friends?" I'm affectionate to my boyfriend often in public because I dont care if people know we are a couple. So when someone assumes he is my father why do not correct them? Because they've already assumed and labeled me and created expectations in their head and I know if I shatter that delusion that i run the risk of making THEM uncomfortable.

So i just squirm in my shoes and lie.

------------------------------
    No one can really be furious at me for portraying a dragon negatively, because dragons don't exist.
    One word. "Twilight"
    Last edited by Cerlis; 2013-04-09 at 01:42 AM.
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"