1. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Gender and Sexuality Representation in OOTS

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Transsexuals identify as the opposite sex, and associate roles and behaviors traditionally tied to that sex as conductive to their goal(Of being as "like" that sex as possible.).
    Thus they mimic those behaviors, often assigning more importance to them than people actually of that sex to make up for thier lack of primary sexual characteristics.

Gender roles are mostly a social construct. There are a few carry-overs from hunter/gatherer times, or ones that make use of the male's higher upper-body strength, but the rest? Totally irrelevant.
    Transsexuality has nothing to do with gender roles and claiming that trans people perpetuate gender roles anymore than cis people is such a tired trope. Trans people's gender presentation is just as varied as cis people's, it's not our fault that the media and people often convolute stuff.

Re; experiences: I feel you need both, but there needs to be a balance. Never having a story elements that actually work with a queer character's sexuality or gender for example is sorta ignoring the fact that those aspects of them exist. (Off course it has to make sense within the world setup.) Basically you just want variety, because how much someone's sexuality is part of their person varies from person to person, just like what issues they face with regards to it. So you need both, characters for who their sexuality isn't a big part of their story character and characters for who it is, because ignoring differences isn't really productive either. (Though that's something that's a bit more likely to be explored in non-fantasy stories I'd imagine.)
    Last edited by Astrella; 2013-04-09 at 06:30 AM.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show