1. - Top - End - #420
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Gender and Sexuality Representation in OOTS

Quote Originally Posted by WoLong View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't care about representation in frequency? I care about how different genders/races/types of sexuals are portrayed, but I don't care how often they're portrayed.
    I also do not care much. I also have no idea why so many do.
    Yes, it can be an expression of racism/sexism if group X is underrepresented/presented in a bad light, but it does not have to mean that.
    I even find current mainstream media silly which aim to "just cater for every group equally". If a story does not require a strong woman/orc, I really do not see the point in writing it in "just to have it".

I also find it a bit strange as we're reading a work here from an author who has shown in his work that he does not have strong, "strong politically incorrect" prejudices against this or that group, so I think the entire issue should "just rest".

Not every story has to make a point about X being equal, where X is every possible race, gender, orientation, philosophy and every possible combination of them. It simply gets silly and overclouds the actual telling of the story.

If it is addressed I think a story should pick one or two and elevate them to "I have a point" and the others can slide. And OotS *did* pick something: Can you kill based on race (or more exactly, based on alignment listed in the MM) and the clear answer is "No". It also picked another thing (and I like it this has no RL parallel at all): Can you discriminate based on Character Class or Class Features? And the answer is also No. (Roy, Tarquin etc)
    Why does Rich also have to address gayness or gender and whatnot of all sorts? Not every fantasy story that is told has the requirement to also address the "Big Issues of Life", like equalty of gender, race, whatnot. It actually looks silly if some work attempts that (just watch any show (in the OotS-verse, of course) that comes out these days with the "usual mix of ethnicities, ranging from Human over Elf, to Half orc, Assimar (mix of Donkey and Celestial), Tiefling and an equal mix of strong females and males everywhere").
    It'd be different if the story here in question would explicitly show women/halflings as weak, catering to RL stereotypes and being totally useless*, but as that is really not happening, I'd, personally and in no way asking anyone not-to-do-it!, say this entire discussion belongs beyond the sideline of "we could discuss political correctness (and I think this is what it is in the very end), but let's rather enjoy the story (which does not discriminate racially/sexually)".

PS: With me saying "I find it silly in general for any story", I do not mean that it's silly in general or consider anyone who said anything here to be silly.

* Please do not call me out on "But the Flumphs are shown as totally useless!". No, they have romance and feelings as well!
    Last edited by Copperdragon; 2013-04-09 at 07:49 AM.
    I feel naked. You all know my stats!