View Single Post

Thread: [4e FR] The Five of the Realm - IC

1. - Top - End - #641
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [4e FR] The Five of the Realm - IC

"Hmm... no, I don't believe so... however..."

Petra brings to mind her One-minute Stone Shaping ritual and examines the cave walls, thinking of what she might do with them.

"I believe I can create a stone barrier capable of concealing us until they pass us by. Further, if I can maintain my focus on the ritual until then, I believe we may be able to effectively lock them out of their own cave without wasting further resources."

Petra carefully avoids mentioning how her plan will also avoid bloodshed, suspecting that Infernion wouldn't much care for that angle, but it's a pretty easy aspect to figure out.

"Miss Stormchaser, if I were to carve a thin, 10-foot deep trench in the ceiling..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's Petra's plan:

1. Create a thin, rocky shell around the party that doesn't use a ton of volume from her 10-foot-cubed limit, effectively letting them hide inside the wall.
    2. Slightly behind their hidden position, carve a 10-foot high wall set into the ceiling, allowing it to barely hang by a couple of points.
    3. After the ritual is complete, continue focusing on it without doing any additional carving.
    4. When the patrol passes by, make one last, tiny change to the sculpture, severing the mostly-complete wall from its surroundings.
    5. The wall drops into place, locking the patrol out.

Plan A effectively uses a total of 8 squares of affected stone:
    - 2 squares in the ceiling above each of, say, F36, F37, and F38
    - D39 and E39, which will serve as a hiding spot, albeit a cramped one.

If this plan doesn't hold up to scrutiny, there's also a simpler plan:
    1. Do step 1.
    2. When the patrol passes by, the party can push the shell over and jump out for their surprise round, now standing between the guards and their only way back in.

Thoughts?

EDIT: OOC discussion of The Plan should probably in the OOC thread, come to think of it.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-04-15 at 01:04 AM.