Underworld Waltz
Chapter 2: A Quiet Moment/Deal with the Devil

Spoiler
Show
Covered in bandages and icepacks, Neiz and Karyana sat on the couch of the blonde's cozy little apartment, the TV buzzing in the background.

"Okay," Karyana repositioned a bag of frozen peas above her eye. "So we've gotta find out where they took your hubby and who he's stuck with... I'm not an expert on Epitaph, but you guys sound wealthy enough that they'd probably be wanting ransom, so I'd wager he's being kept with Caspar if we're in luck---he knows well enough not to 'damage the goods', as it were..." She frowned. "That sounded really cold and impersonal, I'm sorry... but, no matter if we have to fight our way through a few meatheads to do it, we'll pay Caspar a visit and, hopefully, find your husb---oy, keep those feet to yourself, missy." Karyana rolled her eyes, brushing Neiz's intruding toes from her lap. "Maybe I'm your new friend, but I'm not a pillow."

The long-haired girl giggled with a shrug, pulling her bare feet back. "Sorry, habit of mine. Thanks again for, y'know, all this..." Her expression sobered. "I just hope Luro's okay."

-

The boy's feathery white-blond hair was still crusted with flecks of dry blood from when those mooks hit him last night. He thought it was last night, at least; he wasn't sure how long he'd been out, and his watch wasn't on him when he woke up. He really couldn't tell how long it'd been, only that his head hurt from the blow and he remembered the heavy, crushing stink of chorophorm. Oh, and the room kinda sucked; an uncomfortable cot, no window, a harsh fluorescent light and a sink.

For the first time since he'd woken, the door opened; in walked someone far less unpleasant-looking than the thugs who'd beaten him up and kidnapped him; a smiling, excited-looking young lady, black-haired and blue-eyed... and with twitching black cat ears and a swishing feline tail.

Wait, what?

The cat-eared girl smiled at him, ruffling his hair. "Well, aren't you just the cutest little thing? Hi, call me Pesty! How are you feeling, kiddo?" Seeing his wince as his headache was aggravated, she backed off and sat on the bed next to him. "Don't bother with your name, I know it already... your head hurt?"

He sighed, nodding. "I sort of got beat over the head with... it might have been the heavy end of a pool cue? I could use something for my head, tylenol maybe, if you have some..."

She pulled out a small ziploc bag with a handful of pills, pressing it into the boy's hand. "I figured you'd need something like that... sorry they were so rough, I hate how much they hurt people, I really do..." Leaning over to present her head and ears, she stretched and yawned. "I'll tell you things, buuuuut I expect payment. In pettings."
A moment passed between them, turquoise eyes staring into sky-blue ones.
"... Seriously, pet my ears or I tell you nothing."