Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
Protesting incorrect spelling. The a is important, dammit! It changes the meaning!

A pedophile is, etymologically, someone sexually attracted to feet. It needs the a in it.
There's an A in it?
Luv, we're american. We don't have one.

Besides, you all say "pee-do" anyway. So confusing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
I missed you all so much *hugs and cake for those who like them*
Yes! Missing was had.

Hm, I had something else to write, what was it? *thinkthinkthink* Ah, yes. My mother confused me for my brother (who is in Australia, so not likely to show up. ) last week. I was sitting in the kitchen, she comes in, looks confused, then says: "For a moment I thought [brother's name] is sitting there!" And I hadn't even tried too hard to look androgynous, because we were at my grandparents'. I just had my hair parted in the middle and in a low ponytail (like my brother always has his hair) and wore a baggy t-shirt.
Cool!

Also, your avatar! My gosh!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
Actually, the a can prevent confusion, but pedophilia is etymologically someone attracted to young boys (ped(o)-, originally the Greek pais (genitive paidos). In English the a was added later, and the original spelling followed the French pédophile (in short, we borrowed this Greek word from Latin).

Following, say, pedicure, a foot fetishist would be a pediphile. We use the o in pedo- and the i in pedi- when they come before a consonant. So the only real issue is when you have the prefix before a vowel. So, ped(i/o)phile is not problematic. Pederast, however, is.

Hooray for etymologies!
er, yeah. This.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
SaintRidley mentioned pedo/pedi, but I'll also add that there is also ped/pod (as in, pediatrician vs podiatrist). Also, it's not a+e, it's æ, which is its own letter. So saying "the a is important" is a bit like saying "the second (or first) n is important" to someone who used an N instead of an M. It's not n+n, it's m.

Letters such as æ and œ have been pushed off of the language because of how rare they are. I can see the logic in that, personally.

Glad to be back! Had a hell of a week, it will be nice to see you guys again. Had the French same-sex marriage and adoption bill passed yet when the website stopped working? Because it totally has, almost a week ago.
yay for bills!

And aye, diphthongs work sufficiently for that. Just look at irish!
*giggles at using gaelig as an example of a language with understandable grammar*

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
To be replaced, at least in British English, by the two letters in most cases. We still say encyclopaedia, for instance. Or manoeuvre.

I'll concede to SaintRidley's thorough exploration of the etymology, but I'm not giving you that point :P
Say, or write?
How does one phonate Manoeuvre differently than Maneuvre?
And yes, those may be terrible. Maneuvre and Bureaucracy are those words I always quintuple guess myself on and end up getting wrong.

Not sure when I'll ahve the neergy to catch up on five pages, so see you folks later~!