Spoiler
Show
Sorry! I thought I posted this ages ago!

The Hanover District Morgue is an anonymous and out of the way slab of grey concrete, as befits its unpleasant purpose. The guards allow Sharkguard in unimpeded, though a hero of his caliber gets a few strange looks (and a couple of dirty ones) for showing up at their facility.

Inside, Sharkguard is met by a medical examiner. "Welcome, Sharkguard. They told us you might be coming by. The victim is right through here, follow me."

"I know you must have a fair amount of experience with such things, given your profession, but I must warn you, the wounds are traumatic."

You are led into a refrigerated room with steel cabinets lining the walls. The medical examiner opens one of them and rolls out the body for viewing. The victim is a man in his early 30's. From his weathered features and ratty personal effects stored with him, it seems safe to assume he was homeless. His body is unnaturally pale, probably caused by it being in the water for a while, and has many cuts and bruises. Again, it's impossible to know it they were inflicted before death or after it, by the rushing of the river.

All of that is secondary to the man's leg. Or rather, his lack of one. His left leg has been messily severed- no, torn from his body at mid-thigh, leaving uneven strips of flesh and a jagged bone spur. Such a wound would have caused the man to bleed out in seconds. It may have been a horrible way to go, but if nothing else it was quick.

"Given where he was found, it rules out a "traditional" shark attack. The Wading River is freshwater, and the body would have had to be moved by an outsider to have ended up where it was if the attack took place in the ocean. Police are assuming that the victim was chosen because he would not be missed, and it may be cruel, but they are probably right, save for the victim washing up near a busy bridge."