Naii laughs. "Oh, I'm sure the other mages could hold down the fort, for a while, anyways. But it's more complicated than that. See, Liir and I built this city - and when I say that, I'm being more literal than you might think. The city's firewards - all of it's wards, really - I wrote them, over every inch of the city. I've trained others, since, but I still place my own wards on every new building in the city - I am the most powerful mage in the Howe, and my spells form the backbone of the city's defense. If someone is able to breach the firewards, I feel it is only right that I take a... personal interest in their capture." Her eyes are still light, but her words are venomous, and there is a hint of steel in her breath promising pain and suffering to her enemy. It passes quickly from her, however - as if instantaneously, her cheerfulness returns.

"I'm not to concerned, however. Whoever is committing these crimes is controlling a fire elemental - easy magic to trace, summoning - and the wards were never designed to deal with magic like that. They are more to protect from the little nuisance fires of city life - thatch set ablaze, a smithy catching fire - and to prevent flames from leaping building to building. Magical arson is rare enough that it is of small concern, so long as the other firewards are active, you see - as long as it cannot spread, it is little danger to the city."

She gives an awkward grin. "I'm sorry - I prattle. I have put the last twenty years of my life into these wards - I tend to go on, if I am not put off often. They have been my life and my joy for a long time."

Brushing her hair over her ear, she examines the three of you. "An eclectic bunch, you lot. It's nice, to see that Shaada has found some companions for her wanderings. She is alone to much - it softens her head." With that, she gives the back of Shaada's head a good-natured jab, to which Shaada retaliates with a smack upside the head.

"Not so soft as I couldn't thrash you, mageling whelp." Naii grins at the friendly insult - the two seem like old friends falling back into a well-known greeting.

Spoiler
Show
As you talk, you are led further into the temple. Finally, at a gesture from the tall, blue-cowled woman, you stop. She strides into a room on one side of the hall, leaving your group waiting. Shaada leans up against the wall casually, the young acolyte standing besides her, while Naii continues to talk to you.