Quote Originally Posted by Carry2 View Post
My point is that the specific premise of Star Trek as a setting should actually make it very difficult or unlikely for the crew of the enterprise to get embroiled in strange and unexpected situations as frequently as they do. The prime directive forbids interference in external alien cultures, while the Federation being a post-scarcity panglossian utopia makes it difficult to generate drama from the inside. (Roddenberry's standing order of 'no disagreements among the crew' in TNG was basically this in microcosm.) Freaky alien stuff really has to come to them, because they're supposed to have a standing policy of not touching freaky alien stuff. I love Star Trek anyway, but I'm a little more conscious of it's flaws with the benefit of hindsight.
The crew of the Enterprise, like most adventuring parties, goes to where the freaky alien stuff is. From a narrative perspective, there's not a lot of difference between Romulans being detected near the Neutral Zone and goblins being spotted in the Spooky Forest. Unless you're saying that the entire Federation would see freaky alien stuff less often than they do, which fails to account for the size of the Federation and the nuances of the Prime Directive.
Quote Originally Posted by Carry2 View Post
But as for whether it's possible to actively go adventuring and stir up chaos and still be Lawful, what I'm saying is that yes, it's possible.
Going to where chaos is(which is what many adventuring groups do) isn't the same thing as stirring up chaos.
Quote Originally Posted by multilis View Post
Can goblintopia built over the ruins of former paladin city be made a civilized government (to paladins), and thus eventually chaotic acts for a group of paladin adventurers to make war on city? What would be needed, appoint a neutral goblin, or appoint a lawful other species as judge or mayor?
Respecting legitimate authority is not the same as ignoring evil done by it. As such, that clause of the paladin code does not prohibit making war. Providing a formal declaration of war is an appropriate way to show respect to a ruler on whom one intends to make war.