View Single Post

Thread: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

1. - Top - End - #1040
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

These are grappling questions. I'm sorry.

Q520a
    When and how does spiked armor deal damage in a grapple? The SRD simply says "You can have spikes added to your armor, which allow you to deal extra piercing damage (see Table: Weapons) on a successful grapple attack." Is this clarified anywhere?

By my reading, I would argue that it applies any time you deal unarmed strike damage (because the damage is described as "extra piercind damage", it must be in addition to some other damage) which would include when you first establish a hold with an opposed grapple check and when you use the Damage Your Opponent option in subsequent rounds. I think "on a successful grapple attack" could also be read to mean "when you sucessfully hit (or possibly successfully damage) your oppoenent while grappling" which would also allow the spike damage to be added with the Attack Your Opponent (which an unarmed strike, light weapon or natural weapon) option. Is there anywhere that clearly supports or refutes any of these interpretations?

Q520b
    I find the rule that "you can’t attack with two weapons while grappling, even if both are light weapons" a little problematic. I assume it's either referring to the Two-Weapon Fighting special attack rather than simply using two weapons or only forbids using two weapons as part of a single Attack Your Opponent action (as it's listed under that secction in the rules). (So that a character with high enough base attack bonus to use two attacks in a turn could attack with one weapon, see that it was ineffective and attack with another weapon, such as a natural weapon he doesn't need to use an action to draw/ready.) Is this reading reasonable?
    Last edited by Lord Il Palazzo; 2013-07-18 at 02:53 PM.