Yeah, I have a hard time thinking that Girard is Chaotic Evil. Granted, the bar for CE in the strip is set pretty high by Xykon and Belkar (and probably Thog), but his actions are not close to on par with theirs for badness. In truth, his goals are still good ones, that is, the protection of his gate from the predations of the outside world. His methods are unpleasant, i.e. theft and kidnapping, but there's no evidence of murder or other forms of outright cruelty. Chaotic Neutral seems like it can range from loveable nut to selfish jerk, and Girard's crew seem to be on the latter end of the spectrum. I can see him having drifted from being CG in his youth through bitterness and anger at the dissolution of the Scribblers.

As to the actual topic, it is true that most of the major characters in the strip tend toward extreme alignments, and perhaps that's because the Giant feels he has more insights to offer into those, or perhaps they just ended up fitting most closely with the characters he created. Either way, there's always V, who is very N, and is appropriately complex in that department.