Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
I thought as much, in fact I was writing up an argument to this effect. As I see it there are four types of Neutral alignment:

1. Lack of Moral Capacity
This refers to animals and other creatures that totally lack the capacity for moral behavior. The example from the SRD is vipers and tigers.

2. Philosophical Neutrality "Balance" Types
Someone who really believes in a balance of good and evil.

3. Lack of Sacrifice "Indifferent" Types
This is the plain vanilla neutral the SRD seems to be shooting for as the common sort of neutral. In terms of good vs. evil this sort of Neutral person has "compunctions against killing the innocent but lack the commitment to make sacrifices to protect or help others." The SRD claims that most neutral people prefer good to evil and law to chaos.

4. Mercenary Type

This is the type who would join with either good or evil depending on who is providing them with the incentives.

I see the 4th type as basically a selfish, look out for #1, type who otherwise have very little opinion about morality but is not a malicious being. Enor and Gannji exemplify this sort of notion, appearing on the Ookoodook T-shrit with "Neutral, you are not being paid enough."

The interesting part of this notion is that it is nowhere described in the SRD but is notably in Palladium's RPGs which has "Selfish" occupying the "neutral" within their alignment system. The plain description of neutral evil marks selfish people as Neutral evil.

I would imagine, that in this conception of alignment, a real Neutral-Evil type character would join with the good guys to advance himself but would be on the look out to betray them at first opportunity possibly at the his own accord. The mercenary types will remain reasonably loyal.

Edit: That "plain description of Neutral evil" requires explanation

Spoiler
Show
From SRD: The only element in the text, aside from the word "villain" popping out, that go against a plain mercenary type being Neutral include the "Sheds no tears," which requires an extreme degree of indifference towards suffering.

There's nothing that actually says that EVIL or "villain" types have a certain internal drive towards evil, but it can be read as implied in the tone of the SRD. In OOTS, a certain enthusiasm for evil seems to be required, because we see quite a few neutral types (Right-eye, Therkla, the Oracle) that join with evil beings but simply have no great love for actually committing these actions. The trio I mentioned are all alike in craving a certain normalcy and a sense of belonging.
Minor quibble, I'm not seeing much of a difference between your Indifferent and Mercenary types. Or, more specifically, Mercenary just seems to be a specific kind of Indifferent, as in "I'm indifferent your morals and your ideology. How much are you paying me to do this on your behalf?"