Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
I believe saves were kept in the game for the sole purpose of giving the players a sense of drama when attacked by traps.

What's more exciting:

DM: You trigger the Trap and acid sprays out of the key hole. *rolls a die* You are hit for *rolls* 10 damage.

OR

DM: You trigger the Trap and acid sprays out of the key hole. Make a Reflex Saving throw!
Player: "Hope I make this! *rolls* 12."
DM: "You take *rolls* 10 damage*

More than anything else, the "Make a Reflex Save" is pretty iconic.
3.x has plenty of spells where caster rolls attack and plenty of traps where the DM rolls attack. Nor is there any real consistency as to which spells use which method except that area attacks use defender saves in 3.x (which makes some sense, and if that were the distinction, area attacks defender saves, I could live with it).

But note that in editions prior to 3rd the ATTACKER had no real influence on the chance of the defender saving. Your save vs. spells was the same no matter who threw the fireball, which makes sense based on the idea that the fireball is placed where the caster wants it with no roll or skill beyond the ability to cast required, and then the defender's ability determines whether he avoids.

So if we went back to saves being static based on your level and class with maybe small modifications for abilities and gear then I'd be fine with defender rolls. But if the attacker is doing something that substantially affects the chance then the attacker should roll.

And as has been pointed out, reflex save rolls existed in 3.x ONLY. They're not very iconic to any other edition.