Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
It's still a bunch of rolls for a fight - it isn't something along the lines of "Goblin: DC 15 Combat check", which indicates that people are more than willing to roll multiple times to do things if they are interesting. This could easily be expanded to other parts of the system, at least those that are central. It likely has less business being in simple task resolution type stuff, but chases? Social conflicts? Stealth? These could all use that, as they are more conflict based.
When I first read about the "Skill die" I assumed it was going to be a sort of "Skill damage" die, where noncombat resolution would be accumulation of success beyond simple success or failure. EG: a locked chest might have 20 Durability and 5 Lock Complexity. You could roll Break an Object at it and roll 20 skill damage after about 5 successful checks, but you might pick it after a single check if you roll well on your Skill Die.

However, that level of abstraction can lead to a disconnect with the weight of the situation. "Behold, the cliffs of insanity! Its craggy face has thwarted the greatest climbers in history! Its name comes from how you must be mad to--" "Okay, we get it, how much HP does it have, I do 1d10+8 climbing damage per turn, but could do an extra 2d6 if I get a buff, I need to figure out if I need to save the buff for later"

Also, some tasks could involve teamwork as every member produces progress, like translating a series of runes or breaking down a door, while other tasks require each member making their own individualized progress through, like climbing a cliff or sneaking through a compound.

The problem with a unified skill system is that it's going to always have different goals depending on each situation. Combat, meanwhile might have secondary goals, but "the pointy end goes in the other guy" aspect is always going to be simple.