You wanted, you got it. The much anticipated CHAPTER ... 0

Yeah, a prologue.

A friend just reviewed what I got so far and wanted a little more backstory. He is not as interested in reading a character bio. I figured other readers might be like that, so I wrote a prologue.

Man, I am starting to get behind on my revisions.

Spoiler
Show

The Misadventures of Jessica
in High School

Prologue
The Island

"Where did I put that bag!" Jessica is starting to panic. Since her birthday last week she has argued with her Dad about leaving the island. She wants to see the world, live her own life, make mistakes, and make friends. Everyone on this island is more like family to her. The only visitors that come to the island are her father's friends. They are more like extended family to her. She loves them all the same, but she is starting to feel caged.

Last night her father finally agreed to let her leave the island. It took some time to come to an arrangement. Making a deal with Jack is much like writing a contract, because once he gives his word on something he will keep it. Since then, Jessica has been in a rush trying to make sure she has everything she needs for a solo journey to where ever she may go. She was all set, until right now.

"I know I left it right here. Oh, no. Oh, no!" She is turning everything in the room upside down. Checking places that moments before she thought 'It can't possibly be there.'

"Is everything all right, Jessica?" The familiar voice came from the other side of the door. Henry must have heard the commotion and decided to check in on her.

Henry is the closest thing she has to a best friend. He made arrangements with ship captain to bring him some old books when he can. Henry's one vice that he kept from his life on the mainland is reading, and he shared his love of books with Jessica.

Jessica flies over to the door to let him in. "No, everything is not all right, Henry. I can't find my bag. I had it all packed and left it at the foot of my bed and now it's gone." Jessica is almost to the point of tears.

"I have it right here." Henry says holding up the bag. Jessica lets out a sigh of relief and graciously takes the bag from him. "Your father wanted to look through it and made sure you were properly packed for the journey. I guess he didn't tell you first."

"Keeping an eye of course. After all, once I leave the island our deal is in place." Jessica crosses her arms and leers at the ceiling, sure her father is watching.

"What does the deal entail?"

"There is a lot to it. Basically, dad can't get involved in my life. He can help me if he is physically present, but he can't visit unless I give him permission first. Whatever may come I want to face it myself."

"Well, if you are facing this world, then you need to look more proper for it." Henry says with a sly smile. From the folds of his robe he pulls out three folded white linen robes. "I got these specially made for you. It took us all night and the last of our white dye to make them in time."

A giant smile fills Jessica's face and tears full of mixed emotions flow down her cheeks. She runs up to him and wraps her arms around his neck. He almost drops the robes from the embrace. "They are beautiful, Henry. Thank you."

She releases her embrace and takes the robes from Henry. She puts two in her bag and sets the third down so she can change into before she leaves. "I'm going to miss you." She says to Henry, a frown slowly forming as she speaks.

Henry pulls Jessica to him and messes up her hair by rubbing his hand over the top of her head. Jessica laughs and pushes herself away from him. "Don't feel sad, Jess. You can always come back if you miss us. You now have the world to explore, and all the time to explore it." His hand goes back into his robe and he pulls out a book. "A little something to remember me."

It is an original printing of Jules Verne's 'Around the World in Eighty Days'. The copy is in perfect condition. This is a treasured piece of Henry's collection.

"No, I can't accept this." Jessica says trying to push book back.

"I insist. I wouldn't give this to you if I didn't think it would be in good hands. I want this book to be in the hands of someone who loves them as much as I do." Henry takes Jessica by the hands and places the book within them. "Also, we never got around to discussing it. This will make me look forward to your return even more."

Jessica smiled and humbly accepts the book, and places it in her bag. After a few more moments of reminicsing Henry leaves the room so Jessica can finish preparing. At dawn she will leave the island. She may never return or she may be back in a few days. For once her future is completely uncertain.

Jessica stands on the edge of the island. Over a cliff on the eastern face. The island is so small she can fly from one side to the other in less than ten seconds. She stretches out her wings ready to take flight for the mainland.

"You could take my boat if you want." Henry pleas to her. "It may just be a small fishing boat but it can make the voyage."

"Thank you for the offer, Henry, but I wanted to really stretch these wings out for a long time." On such a small island she never had the opportunity to use her wings to their fullest. Her father never allowed her to fly to far from the island. The second she would fly too far away he would teleport her directly to her bedroom.

With her wings spread wide she flings herself from the cliff. She feels the wind rush against her as gravity pulls her to the waters below. She lets her wings pull herself up from the fall and then starts to flap them hard to gain elevation.

Before her friends are out of sight she turns herself around and pulls in her left wing, and waves her right wing like a giant hand waving goodbye. For the brief moment she does this she feels weightless. Both body and soul, she feels as if she escaped a cage. The cage traps her to the island, but it also protects her. As she turns back around aims for the horizon she wonders if she is truly ready for the world.