Quote Originally Posted by Stubbazubba View Post
Yes, the RNG does determine frequencies and how they relate to each other, but in RPGs, we typically don't model actual things that happen on a bell curve. I mean, what character action or interaction would actually necessitate a bell curve in order to work appropriately?
I would argue that in general, skills are best modeled on a bell curve rather than a straight line. In general, people are average, and when they do things, they do them averagely. Training and practice (or lack thereof) move that curve to the left or right, but it's still sort of how everything and everyone works. No one ever opperates at peak performance all the time, and similarly, no one ever always succeeds at things they're trained to do. In fact in my experience trained professionals sometimes have a "familiarity breeds contempt" situation with the basics and will sometimes bork them up worse than a lesser skilled individual. You've probably experienced this yourself if you've ever had a boss or manager that "should know better" but you still have to clean up after them.