Kurt winces at the screaming, feeling sick for a moment before he presses forward, faster than before. He'd given them all a chance, it was the most he could do - he was already risking so much, more than just his own life with this...whatever this was.

When he gets back to the inn, he's both relieved and distressed to find both Miriam and Mithril there, as he now has to tell them the news - but at least he can get it out of the way.

"Ah, I'm sorry to be telling you this at this stage of the day - three of the slavers will be travelling with us as mercenaries. I promised them I'd speak up in their favour if they'd agree to help us out with the defence we needed...so they will. They'll be armed, as they travel, because otherwise they'll not really be being given a second chance. One of them lied to us...he will be staying behind. The others aren't nice people, but they might be a help in what's ahead. I've taken responsibility for them...so I'll be the one who watches over them. I ah...mmm...well I thought I had made what I planned clear but then it changed, and I just got caught up, but I'm sorry, it wasn't that I meant to do this without asking but I just...even they deserve a second chance, and anything that happens is on my head."

He speaks haltingly, but then all at once, almost like Nutspeak.